Dr Dora Bernardes is an experienced Clinical Psychologist with a specialist interest in working with children, young people and families. Dora Bernardes is registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and is a Chartered member of the British Psychological Society (BPS).
Dora has trained and worked as a clinical psychologist in a number of services in the NHS including Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services, Child Development Centre, Paediatric Psychology services in England and Scotland. Dora is the Service Lead for the Paediatric Psychology Service in the NHS in Torbay.
Dora can offer specialist psychological assessments and interventions to children, young people and parents. She has also completed specialist training in Family Therapy, Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy training (DDP, Level 1), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). In addition to having a significant amount of experience, Dora is friendly and creative in her approach with children and young people.
Dora is also highly experienced in providing clinical supervision to healthcare/ mental health professionals and consultation to teams.
Qualifications & Accreditations
- Doctor of Clinical Psychology (DClinPsy)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Social Psychology (PhD)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Evidence-based Psychological Interventions (PGCert)
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology (BSc Hons)
- Chartered member of the British Psychological Association (BPS)
- Registered with the Health Professions and Care Council (HCPC)
Prior or her career in Clinical Psychology, Dora completed a PhD in Social Psychology at the University of Exeter. With the support of a Scholarship by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology, she investigated the ways we make impressions and how this impact on how we relate to group members. She presented her research at international conferences and was awarded a Post-Doctoral Fellowship by the Economic and Social Research Council which she took up at Cardiff University.
Dora has been a teacher of Portuguese Language and Culture at the University of Exeter. She has also been a volunteer working with refugee children, older adults with dementia and with adults with mental health difficulties.
Dora completed her Psychology undergraduate degree in Lisbon, Portugal. She completed her Doctorate in Clinical Psychology with Distinction at Plymouth University. During her training, Dora completed a Family Therapy foundation course. She was also selected on the basis of a national competition for a clinical placement at the Tavistock Clinic in London, Adolescent Department.
Dora received the British Psychological Society Award for contribution to Clinical Psychology at doctoral level in 2012.
Dora receiving her award in 2012.
- Bernardes D, Nicholson J, Prior H, Mills S. (2013). Setting up a Paediatric Psychology Service: Reflections and recommendations. Division of Clinical Psychology, Scotland.
- Bernardes D, Shafi S, Gillies B, Brown F and Couper, R. (2013) Pilot evaluation of a manualised cognitive-behavioural treatment package for children (and their parents) with anxiety. Family and Child Clinical Psychology Review, 1, 93-104.
- Bernardes, D, Wright, J and Livingstone, A (2012). Researching the mental health status of asylum seekers: Reflections and suggestions for practice. Diversity and Equality in Health and Care, 9, 201–8.
- Bernardes D (2011). Learning from an Iranian man about his experience of CBT for treatment of PTSD: A case report. Ethnicity and Inequalities in Health and Social Care, 4(4), 210 – 216.
- Bernardes D, Wright J, Edwards C, Tomkins H, Dlosz D and Livingstone A (2010). Asylum Seekers’ Perspectives on their Mental Health and Views on Health and Social Services: Contributions for Service Provision Using a Mixed-Methods Approach. International Journal of Migration, Health and Social Care, 6(4), 3-19.
Psychological support for children and support to parents with any aspect of parenting. Specialist assessments of children also provided
Psychological skills training
We provide training for professionals and parents in a wide range of topics related to supporting children and young people mental wellbeing.
I am looking forward to hear from you and see how we may be able to work together.